In the age of AliasSeq, how to refer to template tuple parameters?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 1 06:41:17 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 11:28:17 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 11:23:51 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> On Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 09:43:10 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you want to refer to `T...` as a syntax feature or actual
>>> arguments? Former is called "template tuple parameter" as you
>>> correctly linked indeed, but for latter there is
>>> http://dlang.org/template.html#TemplateArgumentList
>>
>> Both. I'm hesitant to use Template Tuple Parameter until I can
>> know for sure that's what they will continue to be called.
>>
>> "template argument list" seems like it could be confusing.
>> Typically, a function argument list refers to all the
>> arguments passed to the function. Given multiple template
>> parameters with a T... at the end, I would expect template
>> argument list to refer to all of them, not just the T...
>
> Naturally, a slice of argument list is still an argument list
> (just smaller one) ;)
>
> But on general topic - no, there is no clear and non-confusing
> terminology on this topic and there have never been.

In general, I'd just use the term AliasSeq for it all at this
point, since that's what we're calling it in Phobos now, which
should work well enough for those who already know what it is,
but when you have to actually explain it, things get more
complicated very quickly - and the fact that it's a language
construct that we interact with via a library construct rather
than really interacting with it directly doesn't help...

- Jonathan M Davis