Indicators and traction…

Shammah Chancellor via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 1 09:11:17 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 23 September 2015 at 12:19:48 UTC, Russel Winder
wrote:
> Having just done a session at PyConUK 2015 aimed at weaning
> people of
> pure Python and into polyglot – Python with (C++|D|Chapel)
> (there
> should have been a Rust bit but…) – and as people probably
> heard the D
> bit was a bit embarrassing for me, I got some interesting
> comments
> during the rest of the conference.
>
> The most important can be paraphrased as "I had heard of D but
> as it was getting no traction, I never looked at it again."
>
> This would seem to indicate that D really does need to have a
> marketing campaign to show it does have traction and isn't just
> a little ghetto as so many languages end up in. D's forays into
> AAA games, finance, etc. all need to get permanent presence. In
> this respect, Reddit is (almost) an irrelevance: bulk
> perception is unaffected by Reddit, most programmers do not
> even look at it, let alone follow it. It would be nice if Tiobe
> and the like were an irrelevance, but that is less so.
>
> Having active regional groups is a first important factor, and
> that is happening, though perhaps less than would be good.
> Having lots of projects on GitHub (and BitBucket) that get
> noticed. Clearly everyone is fighting JavaScript, but that is
> not an issue for D per se. Go, Rust, C++, C are the "enemy".
>
> Maybe discuss this a bit at the coming London D Meeting – which
> sadly clashes with the London Go Meeting…

Honestly, the biggest thing that would get some D traction is
people writing developer tools in it.  I've been working on some
release tooling in D to snapshot sets of repositories for later
checkout and to generate changelogs from commit messages somewhat
like dpkg-dch.

-Shammah