Is Anything Holding you back?

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 1 20:34:16 PDT 2015

On Friday, 2 October 2015 at 02:31:50 UTC, Yaser wrote:
> That's the attitude, but do you think you can rewrite 10+ years
> * X man hours of software by yourself

It doesn't actually take that long to write useful programs. (and
btw, I've been writing D for 8+ years already, including a lot of
support libs for my programs over that time.)

Moreover, and this is really important, D can already interact
the majority of existing software out there. For example, when I
needed crypto functions in D, I didn't rewrite it. I just
copy/pasted a few function prototypes from a C library and called
them.

When I needed to access a mysql database, I didn't rewrite the
database. I didn't even implement the communication protocol
(though that isn't really *that* hard either), I just called the
official mysql C functions.

Those alone are enough to start doing real work after just a few
hours of setup, and you can build up the rest from there as
needed.

IMO part of fully investing in something is spending the time to
adapt what it has to your needs and filling in the rest of the
gaps as more needs come up.