Go, D, and the GC

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 1 23:53:46 PDT 2015

On 1 Oct 2015 11:35 am, "Tourist via Digitalmars-d" <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I know that Go invested many time and resources in an implementation of a
good GC. And they keep working on it, e.g.
https://github.com/golang/proposal/blob/master/design/12800-sweep-free-alloc.md

https://github.com/golang/go/blob/master/LICENSE

> Question: is it possible to make a D compiler/runtime that uses Go's GC?
Wouldn't it largely benefit D? I guess that I'm not the first one to think
about it. Thoughts?

Why do you think Go's GC might be better than D's?  Is it because we lack
the PR when changes/innovations are done to the GC in druntime?  Do you
*know* about anything new that has changed or improved in D's GC over the
last two years?

I'd be interested to hear about this.