Is Anything Holding you back?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 2 10:17:03 PDT 2015

On Friday, 2 October 2015 at 02:25:21 UTC, Yaser wrote:
> Are there any critical frameworks or libraries that are holding
> you back in fully investing in D? Obviously I think D is an
> awesome language, but some frameworks/libraries hold me back,
> wish I could do everything in D.

Nothing is holding me back from using D on my personal projects.
At this point, all of them are in D. The primary thing that I'm
lacking is time to work on them.

Now, using D at work is another thing entirely, but that has more
to do with there being existing codebases and it being very
difficult to talk coworkers into using a new language or
technology than there necessarily being any technical issues.

Sure, there are some things that would be easier to do if they
were written in D or if we had better wrappers for existing C++
stuff (e.g. it would be great to be able to fully use Qt from D),
but because it's trivial to call C functions, and even
interacting with C++ is possible on some level, it's not really a
blocker when something isn't in D - just annoying.

- Jonathan M Davis