Anyone working on updated Qt bindings?

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 3 17:24:31 PDT 2015

On 4 October 2015 at 10:09, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 October 2015 at 02:43, Jeremy DeHaan via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday, 3 October 2015 at 08:25:25 UTC, Manu wrote:

>>> I've spent about 2 weeks trying to get the latest Qt bound up... it's
>>> a LOT of work, but I have done a fair bit of core stuff.
>>> I can commit it somewhere if you wanna hack at it too...
>>

>> Yeah,that'd be great. I'm only interested in working on the latest Qt. You
>> said two weeks and that's just been the core stuff. Are you doing the
>> binding by hand?
>
> When I say 2 weeks, I don't mean like, full-time day-job type thing,
> just tinkering some nights.
>
> But yeah, by hand (ie, lots of regex-ing). It's hard to automate, but
> an automated solution would surely be preferable, otherwise this will
> be a maintenance nightmare.
> The core stuff is the hardest bit, and requires the most manual
> intervention. Sooooo many macros, and various platform abstractions.
> The majority of feature headers may be automatable.
>
> The main thing I wanted to do with this binding was to eliminate moc.
> You shouldn't need to run moc; D can do that work right on the spot.

Here: https://github.com/TurkeyMan/qt-d

Note, this doesn't even come close to compiling... I basically just
renamed all the .h files, got some of the Qt sample apps, translated
those main.cpp files to D, and started trying to build. Then just
working through compile errors, with each class of error being formed
to the best regex I could muster and applying it across the board.
Going for the simplest and most regex-able errors first (you'll find
very little in the way of relevance regarding what is and isn't done),
so that I could translate as much of the code as close to D as I can
before having to deal with the harder ones.