D 2015/2016 Vision?

bitwise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 4 11:02:20 PDT 2015

http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2015H1

Looking at this, It's obvious that some of it has spilled over,
but it would be nice to have a fresh document detailing the plan
moving forward.

I'm hoping to see something about D's memory model. In
particular, an update on DIP74.

There are several things in phobos that are classes. This goes
against the nogc goal, so what's the plan?

Currently, it seems like someone will eventually take all these
classes/hierarchies and flatten them into some struct/template
approach. I am not looking forward to this at all. I like
polymorphism when it's appropriate.

For example, streams. I like to be able to do things like this:

Stream s1 = new MemoryStream();
Stream s2 = new File("..");
BinaryReader br;
br = new BinaryReader(s1);
br = new BinaryReader(s2);

But, given D's current nogc goal, it seems they must all be
eliminated...unless DIP74 swoops in to save the day.

     Bit