GuiDub

Jacob via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 4 14:29:35 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 07:53:12 UTC, ponce wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 05:17:42 UTC, Jacob wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone actually maintain all this or use it? Cause surely
>> I shouldn't be getting errors like this? I have about 50
>> packages in my dub.json and they all came from copying the
>> dependency directly(so no mistake on my part).
>>

> Some advices:
>

> - do not use the "umbrella" packages like "dplug" but rather
> the sub-packages like "dplug:dsp". This will reduce the number
> of dependencies.
>
> - cut the number of dependencies to the minimum. For example
> you have freeimage AND imaged who overlap quite a bit.
>   More dependencies = more problems. Add them one by one IF
> they are needed and after evaluating them.
>
> - before relying on a dependency, check that it looks
> maintained, has travis-ci integration, and build. Without
> editing anything, you can do:
>
>     dub test thatpackage
>
> anywhere and it should download and build the tests.
>
> - if given the choice, use a derelict binding vs a statically
> linked dependency. This will make things a tad easier.

I was under the impression that dub was sort of the "god
particle" for building D apps. That it would take care of all
this mess. It surely doesn't and hasn't made my life easier!
Everyone says to use dub, so I use it and can't even get the
packages to import properly. Dub should handle the discrepancies,
not me! I'm not smart enough to be able to deal with dependencies
of dependencies of dependencies of dependencies with all kinds of
versioning issues at each step of the way.

Sounds like dub is just a different dll hell.