What keeps you from using gtkd or dlangui

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 4 15:28:58 PDT 2015

On 10/04/2015 09:24 AM, karabuta wrote:
> For some time now I have been trying various GUIs options in D. I came
> to settle on gtkd and dlangui(stability is not my current priority).
>
> In YHO, what keeps you from using any of those fully(mostly)? Gtkd
> first,  followed by dlangui.  I need to know what I am signing up for.

I absolutely, positively cannot stand software that uses GTK for GUIs
(including Unity and GNOME...not that anybody actually uses GNOME
anymore) regardless of whether I'm running on Windows or Linux. So I
definitely won't write software that uses it either, if I can help it.
That rules out gtkd. I'm sure it's a fine set of bindings, but I'm not
about to force a GTK UI on any poor end user.

As for dlangui, the stuff about OpenGL makes it sound like it's not
using native widgets, and I don't like using software that does that.

I haven't really done GUI stuff in D yet, but if I were, I'd look into
DWT or see what shape wxD is in. Too bad we don't have Qt, I hear
nothing but good things about it.