What keeps you from using gtkd or dlangui

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 4 16:21:43 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 4 October 2015 at 22:28:59 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I absolutely, positively cannot stand software that uses GTK
> for GUIs (including Unity and GNOME...not that anybody actually
> uses GNOME anymore) regardless of whether I'm running on
> Windows or Linux. So I definitely won't write software that
> uses it either, if I can help it. That rules out gtkd. I'm sure
> it's a fine set of bindings, but I'm not about to force a GTK
> UI on any poor end user.

The same here. I've always thought that gtk was positively
hideous. But I've known folks who preferred it, and clearly there
are plenty of folks willing to at least put up with it to use
Gnome. So clearly, YMMV.

At this point, if I were going to write a GUI app, I'd look at
the current state of the various attempts at binding Qt to D and
either use one of those if it were far enough along, or I'd just
write the GUI portion in C++ and the backend in D. But I'm also a
KDE user, so Qt fits in much better with my environment on top of
just plain looking better.

- Jonathan M Davis