Is Anything Holding you back?

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 4 23:18:33 PDT 2015

On 5 October 2015 at 14:02, Jan Johansson via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, 4 October 2015 at 23:55:42 UTC, Manu wrote:
>>
>> On 5 October 2015 at 03:44, Jan Johansson via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

>>> I'd wish for attributes to be runtime available, not only compiler
>>> directives. It could then be used for a number of interesting use cases, as
>>> marshaling from and to different formats rather than through API. The
>>> attributes could then be supported by libraries.
>>

>> Anything compile time can be made available at runtime if your system
>> calls for it.
>

> Sure it can, but I want a dynamic behavior, not a static behavior.
> Attributes are compiler directives. They are not available at runtime
> according to the specification of D language. Now take the example at:
> http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/uda.html, and separate the code into one library
> that defines the attributes and "printAsXML", keep the consumer of the
> attributes (main function) and get the same slick functionality. It can't be
> done, because UDA is not runtime available.

You can easily make attributes effectively available at runtime by
building lists of attributed things at compile time.
I don't understand your problem. Describe the goal?

I was one of the main guys involved in the introduction of UDA's, and
I have managed to use them successfully for most of my needs.