Shout out to D at cppcon, when talkign about ranges.

Eric Niebler via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 5 19:31:51 PDT 2015

On Monday, 5 October 2015 at 21:57:31 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Yes, you can build debug iterators that know their limits, or
> iterators with back pointers to the range. This is not an
> inherent property of Boost ranges, does not appear in the Boost
> description of ranges (unless I missed it), and is a kludge. I
> do not agree that D ranges owe anything to that design.

The design of the D ranges and algorithms owe quite a lot to C++,
and I've heard Andrei say as much. Stepanov did the hard work of
defining common algorithms in terms of iterators of different
strength. Given that starting point, ranges of different strength
are an "obvious" next step that many people thought up
independently. D took it one way and C++ went another.

When designing my range library, I looked at all the prior art
available to me including D ranges and decided D's path was not
the right one for C++. My work is based on Boost.Range. I only
posted here to clear up what appeared to me to be confusion about
that.

\e