What keeps you from using gtkd or dlangui

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 5 23:20:43 PDT 2015

On Monday, 5 October 2015 at 18:21:55 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 10/05/2015 12:35 PM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Sun, 2015-10-04 at 18:28 -0400, Nick Sabalausky via
>> Digitalmars-d
>> wrote:
>>>
>> […]
>>> I absolutely, positively cannot stand software that uses GTK
>>> for GUIs
>>> (including Unity and GNOME...not that anybody actually uses
>>> GNOME
>>> anymore) regardless of whether I'm running on Windows or
>>> Linux. So I
>>> definitely won't write software that uses it either, if I can
>>> help
>>> it.
>>
>> Lots of us use GNOME and are proud to do so.
>>

> GNOME3? I'm surprised to hear that. My (perhaps inaccurate)
> understanding was that it landed with quite a thud and
> alienated a lot of its userbase (and even many of it's
> developers), moreso than the early days of KDE4 did. And I've
> never personally known anyone who did use GNOME3 (to my
> knowledge), so I figured it had become very much fringe.

Enough folks hated it that there have been at least two projects
started which are forks of gnome (mate and cinnamon), and some
distros are now using those as their default, which has reduced
gnome's foothold. So, it did tick off a lot of people, but I
don't know how many folks actually switched or how many have come
back now that gnome 3 has become much more polished. A lot of
folks just use what their distro has. Clearly, there are plenty
of folks who use gnome 3 now, regardless of how it was received
initially, but how many ultimately dropped gnome because of gnome
3 is probably hard to judge. I don't think that there's much
question though that gnome 3 helped further fragment the *nix DE
communities, because now we have mate and cinnamon added into the
mix. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but between that and
Unity, gnome is bound to have lost a lot of market share even if
they still have a significant number of users - though since the
gnome guys aren't exactly in it for the money, that's not
necessarily a problem. They'll just keep on trucking, making what
they think is the best DE, and those that like it will use it,
while those that don't will find an alternative.

Personally, I definitely haven't liked what I've seen and heard
of gnome 3 and would rather use gnome 2 (much as I hated it), but
I'm a diehard KDE guy, so it doesn't really matter all that much
to me so long as it doesn't end up affecting KDE in a negative
way.

- Jonathan M Davis