D 2015/2016 Vision?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 5 23:45:45 PDT 2015

On Monday, 5 October 2015 at 23:08:37 UTC, bitwise wrote:
> Well, again that has it's pros and cons. This is why I just
> want a normal language solution like DIP74.

They're not the same thing at all. scoped is supposed to put the
class on the stack, not the heap. And it's not ref-counted. It's
so that you can create a class object in place, use it, and throw
it away without doing any heap allocation. Essentially, it allows
you to use a class as if it were a non-copyable struct. Even if
we end up with ref-counting supported in the language, it doesn't
obviate the need for scoped classes. They're for different use
cases.

- Jonathan M Davis