What keeps you from using gtkd or dlangui

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 6 11:29:09 PDT 2015

On 10/06/2015 02:21 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-10-05 at 14:21 -0400, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
>>
> […]
>> GNOME3? I'm surprised to hear that. My (perhaps inaccurate)
>> understanding was that it landed with quite a thud and alienated a
>> lot
>> of its userbase (and even many of it's developers), moreso than the
>> early days of KDE4 did. And I've never personally known anyone who
>> did
>> use GNOME3 (to my knowledge), so I figured it had become very much
>> fringe.
>>

> Your understanding is indeed inaccurate. Yes there was a huge kerfuffle
> when the GNOME2 → GNOME3 thing happened. Many very vocal people
> screamed that the GNOME people were a bunch of w###### and all that
> sort of stuff. Many GNOME2 users abandoned GNOME and rewrote GNOME2.
> Many people though got over the marketing (and other) stupidity of the
> GNOME developers, and actually tried the revolutionary GNOME3 and liked
> it.

Fair enough. Of course that doesn't account for *all* those who were
unhappy with GNOME3 (but I know you're not implying it does): My dislike
of GNOME3 *is* from after trying it first. Just seemed wacky to me, and
I didn't feel much point in bothering to adjust to it, what with all the
other alternatives out there.

Actually didn't mind GNOME2 *too* much back at the time: My main beefs
with GNOME2 were just the overly-padded GTK widgets/rendering and it
seemed to be going for more of an OSX experience for my tastes (Plus I
never really liked the Nautilus-based file managers: Like Finder, they
just make me feel like my hands are tied behind my back).

> I know I went to XFCE but couldn't make it work.

Y'know, I've always had a fair amount of respect for XFCE, but their big
problem has always been polish. It's always had a lot of promise and
potential, and I still respect it for that. But it's been in strong need
of a big heavy dose of polish for a looong time.

(Ex: Just try adjusting the taskbar. And then go back and see how slick,
intuitive and "just works" MS (go figure!) managed to make taskbar
adjusting a full twenty years ago, back in Win95. Even KDE still hasn't
managed to match that either, although it's still way ahead of XFCE in
that regard).

> This does not excuse some of the appalling behaviours of the GNOME
> developers, some of which continue to happen. This is sad.

Yea, :( They've even lost major developers over some of it, AIUI. It's
too bad. Gnome may not be my cup of tea, but its community does deserve
better.

>> […]
>> Wait, is there a distinction between "wx" and "wxWidgets"?
>
> No, just bad phrasing on my part.
>
> And wxWidgets is the old wxWindows.

Ahh, ok.