What keeps you from using gtkd or dlangui

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 6 11:40:17 PDT 2015

On 10/06/2015 11:33 AM, Johannes Pfau wrote:

> As of 2015, critical reception is much more positive.[48] Debian, a
> Linux distribution that had historically used GNOME 2, switched to Xfce
> when GNOME 3 was released. However, Debian readopted GNOME 3 in time
> for the release of Debian 8 "Jessie".[49][48] Linus Torvalds, the
> creator of the Linux kernel, switched back to GNOME 3 in 2013.[48]
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME#GNOME_3

Wow, I had no idea about any of that. While I doubt I'll be switching
(still don't like GTK or Nautilus, and happy enough with KDE), but now
I'm curious to take another look, see how it's come along.

> Fedora and RHEL also use gnome 3 by default.
>
> Gnome 3 was kinda annoying but has improved with every release. If
> you use the keyboard shortcuts, virtual desktops and some nice
> extensions it's a nice DE. And with proper icons (numix) it also looks
> great.

Well that's good to hear. KDE4 went through the same path. After
spending time with KDE4, I found it to be it a terrible blunder of an
upgrade even after, several point releases in, people were saying it had
finally been fixed. It still has some warts that annoy me (and some
things I just gave in on), but it's finally won me back from my hiatus
with XFCE/LXDE. Looking forward to v5 stabilizing further.