What keeps you from using gtkd or dlangui

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 6 12:23:40 PDT 2015

> On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 at 18:40:17 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Well that's good to hear. KDE4 went through the same path. After
>> spending time with KDE4, I found it to be it a terrible blunder of an
>> upgrade even after, several point releases in, people were saying it
>> had finally been fixed. It still has some warts that annoy me (and
>> some things I just gave in on), but it's finally won me back from my
>> hiatus with XFCE/LXDE. Looking forward to v5 stabilizing further.
>
> IIRC, KDE 4 really became properly usable around 4.2

?!?

It must've been REALLY bad before that! I think I first tried it around
v4.4-v4.6-ish and thus became an immediate fan of the TrinityDE project
;) At that point, KDE4 just felt to me very clumsy, unpolished, sluggish
and borderline broken.

>, and of course,
> around that time, kmail when to hell in a handbasket, because they added
> that akonadi trash to kdepim and switched to that for kmail's backend.
> *bleh*
>
 > kmail has a great UI, but its backend sucks big time, and since AFAIK,
 > they've never acknowledged that it's a horrible design, they're probably
 > never going to fix it... :(

One of the projects still on my bucket list (and will likely remain
there indefinitely, the way things seem to go...) is a desktop GUI
mail/ng client. It pains me that I've wound up settling for Thunderbird :(

Desktop mail clients pretty much evaporated once everyone jumped on the
webmail bandwagons. And now everyone hates email because it's "such a
pain", but...uhh...yea...if you're webmailing it, it's no freaking wonder!

> Oh, well. On the whole, KDE 4 has been quite solid for quite a long time
> now, and nothing else even comes close to what I'm looking for.
> Fortunately, the transition to KDE 5 should be much smoother, because
> they don't have to redesign all of the guts this time. But still, I'd
> just as soon not jump on it very quickly.

///ditto to all that ;)