D 2015/2016 Vision?

Meta via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 6 22:12:03 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 at 00:17:37 UTC, bitwise wrote:
> -again, alias this allows class references to escape their RAII
> containers and can cause access violations as show here:
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/zfggjsjmfttbcekqwgjd@forum.dlang.org

This isn't really a problem as it can be easily fixed. It's just
that the original writer of Scoped made the mistake of allowing
implicit conversion of a Scoped!C to a C, which when you think
about it doesn't make any sense and is actually quite dangerous
(as my post that you cited shows). All that has to be done to fix
that is to disallow implicit conversion to the wrapped type while
retaining the interface, which we can do today with a myriad of
different methods (mixins, opDispatch, std.typecons.Proxy, etc.).
It's just that nobody has done it.