D 2015/2016 Vision?

Sebastiaan Koppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 7 01:14:32 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 at 02:41:12 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/6/2015 7:04 PM, bitwise wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 at 01:27:27 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> No streams. InputRanges.
>>
>> This is too vague to really respond to. It does serve as an
>> example of the
>> over-emphasis on ranges in the D community. Ranges are great,
>> but not for
>> everything.
>
> What can a stream do that a range cannot?

I wouldn't know about streams vs ranges, but I have worked with
Eric Meijer's RX and observables, and it has helped a lot with
asynchronous/evented code. Mostly because of the FP thrown in. In
a way it is very similar to ranges and std.algorithm.

A range, however, is inherently synchronous and blocking.

If streams could be asynchronous, wouldn't that qualify?