D and microservices

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 7 03:38:55 PDT 2015

On Tue, 2015-10-06 at 15:07 -0400, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

[…]

> Felt stupid for not being hip to this "microservices" thing you say,
> so
> just looked it up. But it sounds to me like it's basically just a
> buzz-driven rediscovery of the basic principles of proper
> encapsulation
> and Unix philosophy ("do one thing and do it well").

Yes there is an element of just using encapsulation and single purpose
tool, but there is a lot of trying to do cluster computing well by
keeping the components small and manageable. The downside is the
potential communications complexity.

BTW microservices doesn't mean just Web services/applications per se
(they are a subset), it is any protocol. The Web services/applications
people conveniently forget there are protocols other than HTTP.

> (Kinda like how "cloud" sounds like a big fancy new revolution until
> you
> realize it's just the hip new word for "internet" or "hosted". Or
> "Facade design pattern" vs plain old "It's a thin wrapper".)

"Cloud" is really a destruction of personal computing in favour of re-
centralization of all computing: put the computing power back in the
hands of the people who want to control what you may or may not do with
computers. Beyond this is gets political.

> Does that sound about accurate, or am I missing something?

I think you are missing some aspects of why there is sanity to what is
happening, but you are not wrong that there is a lot of "buzz" and
"hype", but that tends to go along with anything "trendy" and "hip".
And there is a lot of reinventing the wheel because the hipsters create
cool new stuff, but have failed to study the last 60 years of computing
before doing so.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk