Categorizing Ranges

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 7 10:22:10 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 05:15:45PM +0000, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 at 16:54:00 UTC, Meta wrote:
> >On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 at 15:06:55 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> >>I'm looking for ideas on how to label the ranges returned from take
> >>and drop. Some examples of what I think are appropriate categories
> >>for other types of ranges:
> >>
> >>Generative - iota, recurrence, sequence
> >>Compositional - chain, roundRobin, transposed
> >>Iterative - retro, stride, lockstep
> >>XXX - take, drop
> >>
> >>What to put into the XXX? I first thought of "Greedy", but that has
> >>an association with "greedy algorithms" that I don't really like.
> >>That led to "Selfish", but it's admittedly not that appropriate.
> >>Beyond that, I'm stuck. Any and all ideas appreciated.
> >
> >Mutating.
>
> Except that take doesn't mutate its function argument, and drop only
> does if the range is a reference type. So, they really aren't mutating
> algorithms.
[...]

Sub-ranging?

A program should be written to model the concepts of the task it performs rather than the physical world or a process because this maximizes the potential for it to be applied to tasks that are conceptually similar and, more important, to tasks that have not yet been conceived. -- Michael B. Allen