D and microservices

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 8 00:57:25 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 at 06:43:24 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> In any case, we have now inconceivable amounts of computing
> power on tap for very affordable prices and the tools to manage
> it.  When a little instance is 0.7 cents an hour, and a usable
> one is 1.5 cents and you can scale up and down as quickly as
> you like, many things become possible that weren't before.  The
> world is only slowly beginning to figure out what, judging by
> what I see in finance.

It is amazing how much compute is on tap these days and we do
almost nothing with it.  Forget about the cloud, just look at how
powerful all these mobile devices are.  The problem is that
software development has lagged leagues behind hardware
development.

> Since I am foolish enough to run my own mail server, you can be
> sure that my sympathies are with you.

I used to do that, but what would stop them from getting into
your server either?  Just as they go after email hosts, they can
go after server hosts.  Unless you're running it out of your own
house, which has other problems, most notably port-blocking by
ISPs.

> I think people are reckless - both individuals and corporations
> - in what they unthinkingly cede to companies that really have
> few incentives to act as one might wish.  It's one thing to be
> the customer, and quite another to be the product.  I saw Eric
> Schmidt speak some years back, and he really didn't give me a
> feeling that we have a similar idea about what evil means!

They are reckless until they're personally hurt by it.  There
will be a backlash when some scandal or hack forces people to
change.  The recent ad-blocking and router security scandals are
good examples, both of which have been festering for a _long_
time:

http://fortune.com/2015/09/20/apple-ad-block-ios9/
http://blog.codinghorror.com/welcome-to-the-internet-of-compromised-things/

> within the enterprise often being rather different.  Things
> even in quite small firms of 150+ people start being more about
> internal bureaucratic logic and much less about ROI.  And the
> problem is that it's hard to make a convincing case for
> something that doesn't yet exist, and yet many big things have
> the tiniest beginnings.  So the current enterprise technology
> environment discourages those little experiments that drive
> real innovation, as well as getting in the way of larger
> projects.

Interesting article along the same vein, that goes in a fairly
radical direction until near the end, when it shifts course to
point out how Apple is trying to account for this:

http://www.asymco.com/2015/08/31/fluid-coupling/

> The cloud, by commoditising compute, and making the price much
> more transparent then is a force for breaking down central
> structures that no longer serve their needs well.  When you can
> get whatever you need from Amazon today, waiting months and
> paying 10x more starts to seem a little stiff, and people start
> asking questions when before they had no choice but to grin and
> bear it.  Of course the questions about privacy and commercial
> confidentiality are there, but perhaps solutions are arriving,
> and business people need to be practical.  Even an overpriced
> internal cloud gives much more power to internal entrepreneurs
> than did the old way.

Heh, a more centralized external cloud allows more agility than
the centralized internal IT systems that were in place before?
Perhaps.  Given all the data breaches, I don't think the problems
with data security will ever go away though.