D 2015/2016 Vision?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 8 04:15:33 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 at 17:02:51 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 at 15:42:57 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> Are you thinking about Rust, or some other language?
>
> All of the ones that explore this area. Rust, ATS, Idris, F*....

Oh, yeah, sure. I wondered more if you were looking to adopt a
language with substructural typing (beyond library types like
unique_ptr) for production.

I personally think that they future is with actor-based
programming in combination with substructural/behavioural typing
since it lends itself to distributed computing, multi core etc.
The challenge is making a good language for it that is
sufficiently performant and still allows breaking out actors to
other computational units (computers/CPUs).

But yeah, I think there is a paradigm shift coming in ~10-15
years maybe?

>> Are you thinking about more lintish tools that can give false
>> positives, or something with guarantees that can be a language
>> feature?
>
> What Herb Sutter demoed at CppCon as compiler validation to
> CoreC++.

I've only seen the talks on youtube. I was under the impression
that Microsoft had accurate and inaccurate analysers, but that
the accurate ones were too slow on current C++ code bases. With
more annotations to guide the analyser... yes, maybe.

I assume Microsoft use analysers based on Boogie:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/boogie/

> I can imagine that depending on how well the community takes
> those guidelines, they might become part of C++20.

I think this is needed, but adoption probably won't happen
without IDE benefits.