D 2015/2016 Vision?

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 8 04:31:46 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 at 10:34:44 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> I don't know. I don't like extensive reference counting and
> don't use weak_ptr. One can usually avoid cycles for resources
> by design.

The required design is that a resource handle must reside in a
non-resource object, that object must be reference counted too to
ensure correctness of resource management, and you can't
guarantee reliably that those non-resource objects don't form a
cyclic graph. If you must manually verify the graph and put weak
references appropriately - what kind of design in that?