Moving back to .NET

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 8 04:56:56 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 at 11:34:51 UTC, Chris wrote:
> in D. Then again, I don't know how Go and Rust will fare in a
> couple of years' time.

I think the C++ people are desperately trying to recapture the
application market with some of the things that they propose for
C++17/20. I think that market is dying fast for C++. I don't know
about Rust, they seem to aim for high level programming. I think
both C++ and Rust have too many syntax issues to be convenient
for high level applications.

Go I think will do ok for focused web services with not too
complicated logic. I don't think they will replace Java. I think
Go will take the market where people have been using Java, but
not really needed the feature set.

> The lines seem to blur over time, because any language is
> pretty useless without at least one powerful library to its
> name.

Applications benefit from frameworks, and then the desired
frameworks dictate the language you use. So growth is difficult
in that domain.

But you can implement you application model in an "engine
language" and use a javascript framework for the UI with a
browser engine in-between then the "engine language" can focus on
efficient marshalling between that browser engine and the runtime.

So basically, break up the eco system so that you aren't locked
into a small language (like D or Rust).