D 2015/2016 Vision?

Jim Hewes via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 8 11:19:49 PDT 2015

On 10/8/2015 4:15 AM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

> I personally think that they future is with actor-based programming in
> combination with substructural/behavioural typing since it lends itself
> to distributed computing, multi core etc.
I've recently become curious about the actor model and would like to
learn more about it and maybe play around with it a bit. The C++ Actor
Framework looks good, but unfortunately it doesn't yet work with MSVC so
I'm waiting for that.

> The challenge is making a good
> language for it that is sufficiently performant and still allows
> breaking out actors to other computational units (computers/CPUs).

I read a comment* on stack overflow that mentions that the important
component is actually environment/platform such as OTP is for Erlang.
I'm not sure how this affects the C++ actor implementations.

*The last answer at:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8107612/the-actor-model-why-is-erlang-special-or-why-do-you-need-another-language-for