Categorizing Ranges

Per Nordlöw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 9 03:01:46 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 at 15:06:55 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> I'm looking for ideas on how to label the ranges returned from
> take and drop. Some examples of what I think are appropriate
> categories for other types of ranges:
>
> Generative - iota, recurrence, sequence
> Compositional - chain, roundRobin, transposed
> Iterative - retro, stride, lockstep
> XXX - take, drop

I'm guessing you're thinking about categorizing the list at

http://dlang.org/phobos/std_range.html

, right? ;)

That would, IMHO, be a nice usability/discoverability
improvement, especially for new users!

:)

Further, I've thought about adding some kind standardized
graphical explanation for the ranges and algorithms in Phobos.

I've Googled a bit on this topic, say:

"algorithm visualization"

but I can't seem to find any concrete work on this topic. Refs
ideas anyone?

What file format would be preferred for such graphical
descriptions? I'm guessing SVG would be a good contender.

A supercool thing would be if we, with the help of D's marvellous
meta-programming and CT/RT-reflection, could auto-generate these
visualizations.