-> and :: operators

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 9 17:37:03 PDT 2015

On Friday, 9 October 2015 at 23:57:28 UTC, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
> On Friday, 9 October 2015 at 21:21:10 UTC, deadalnix wrote:

>>> Java doesn't have pointers.
>>
>> -_-
>>
>> Yeah reference are definitively not pointer. No they aren't.
>> No I told you they aren't. Nope. Not even a little ! No way !
>> That's not true ! I told you that's not true. Nope !
>
> I guess you could argue it that way, but I don't see references
> and pointers as the same. Similar, yes, but not the same.

Java references (as well as C# references and D references) are
managed pointers. Their only real differences from "normal"
pointers are that they're managed by the GC, you can't assign an
address to them (except by assigning another reference to them),
and that you can't dereference them except when accessing one of
their members. There's no question that per the computer science
definition of a pointer, they qualify. They just aren't quite
what you get in C/C++ or from D's pointers which aren't class