Shout out to D at cppcon, when talkign about ranges.

Eric Niebler via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 10 11:06:59 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 10 October 2015 at 06:15:10 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 10/10/15 12:58 AM, Eric Niebler wrote:
>> To be honest, this whole conversation is kind of funny to me.
>> It
>> reminds me of the Bugs Bunny cartoon where Marvin the Martian
>> plants
>> his flag on Earth and says, "I claim this planet in the name of
>> [Digital] Mars!" We Earthlings respectfully disagree. :-)
>
> Only it's the other way around, which makes the matter quite
> ironic. You wrote:
>
>> P.S. I see lots of people here assuming that C++ is playing
>> catch-up
>> to D because D has ranges and C++ doesn't yet. That is
>> ignoring the
>> long history of ranges in C++. C++ got ranges in the form of
>> the
>> Boost.Range library by Thorsten Ottoson sometime in the early
>> 00's.
>> Andrei didn't implement D's ranges until many years after. The
>> ranges
>> idea is older than dirt. It's not a D invention.
>
> I think it would be a bit of a stretch to describe D ranges as
> derivative of Boost ranges.

If I implied that I believe that D ranges were based on
Boost.Range, then I apologize. I don't believe that. I suspect
(but don't know) that ranges in D were independently invented
without knowledge of the long history of them in C++. Which is
fine except for the claims that C++ is playing catch-up. It's not.

> Anyhow, it's best for us all to focus on doing good work
> instead of pettily fighting for irrelevant credit.

I only jumped in when I saw some disparagement of C++ and my work
which (IMO) was both
petty and wrong. I would very much like to drop this and get back
to productive work.

\e