DIP74 - where is at?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 10 19:01:07 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 11 October 2015 at 00:20:08 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> It doesn't looks like it is getting implemented. And, to be
> honest, I'd rather go a principle approach + library support
> rather than a pie of hacks.
>
> The pile of hacks approach is what made C++ C++.

AFAIK, Walter and Andrei are still in favor of something that's
at least similar to DIP 74. Andrei made a comment in a thread
just the other day that indicated that he was in favor of having
a way to build reference counting into classes. So, I don't know
why you think that it's not going to be implemented other than
the fact that it hasn't been implemented yet. It wouldn't
surprise me if the DIP needed some tweaking though.

Regardless, now is not the best time to ask this sort of
question, because Walter and Andrei are on their trip to Romania,
and they're going to have a limited presence in the newsgroup at
the moment.

It wouldn't surprise me though if something like the possibility
of getting D into another company relied on something like DIP 74
helped push it along and got it sorted out faster. Clearly,
Walter and Andrei think that it's an issue and have done some
work on it at the theoretical level, but I don't know where it
sits on their priority list. And even if DIP 74 were fully sorted
out tomorrow, it would still require Walter or someone else
actually implementing it, and that's probably not a small
undertaking.

- Jonathan M Davis