DIP74 - where is at?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 10 21:35:01 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 11 October 2015 at 04:16:11 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> If we go these DIP road, there is no coming back and this will
> get in the way of a principled approach.

Then come up with an alternative DIP which shows a better way to
solve this. As it stands, it looks likely that we'll end up with
some form of DIP 74, and if you have a better proposal, then now
is probably the time to do it.

Personally, I obviously haven't been following this closely
enough, because I don't understand why something like RefCounted
can't be made to do what we need with regards to reference
counting and classes. It does get a bit nasty when inheritance
and whatnot get involved, but C++ was able to solve that easily
enough, and we should be able to do the same.

The one place in-language where I'm sure that something like
RefCounted doesn't do it is exceptions, since we really should
have a way to make those reference counted, but you can only
throw something derived from Throwable - which means a class and
not a wrapper around one. So, we need a tweak of some kind to the
language there, but that's pretty specific, whereas it _should_
be possible to get something like RefCounted to at least solve
the normal cases. Clearly though, Walter and Andrei have come to
the conclusion that it's not.

- Jonathan M Davis