DIP74 - where is at?

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 11 00:08:25 PDT 2015

On 10/11/15 7:25 AM, deadalnix wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 October 2015 at 02:01:09 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> AFAIK, Walter and Andrei are still in favor of something that's at
>> least similar to DIP 74. Andrei made a comment in a thread just the
>> other day that indicated that he was in favor of having a way to build
>> reference counting into classes. So, I don't know why you think that
>> it's not going to be implemented other than the fact that it hasn't
>> been implemented yet. It wouldn't surprise me if the DIP needed some
>> tweaking though.
>>

> Yes, and that's quite ridiculous. I mean this is getting into ridiculous
> ego battle.

It's unlikely that adding inflammation to this would help too much -
sticking to the technical points is more helpful.

You're saying that as far as you can tell you have made the perfect
argument in favor of your proposed approach (have you written it up as a
DIP?) and that essentially there is no reasonable way your idea could
not be accepted. If you failed to raise the response you think that
proposal deserves, getting emotional about it can't possibly be more
productive than reiterating the technical point.

We're all on the same boat. We want to make D better. Let's.

Andrei