DIP74 - where is at?

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 12 01:10:42 PDT 2015

On Monday, 12 October 2015 at 07:44:47 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Instead of assuming my purpose here is to pull tricks on you
> and manipulate the dialog politically, it's more productive to
> just stick to the technical discussion. I only started the
> dialog to get more informed about technical things.

I'm not assuming this. I'm fairly confident that you have the
best intention for D in mind rather than winning internet debate
points. So do I.

Still you are pulling the above mentioned trick. i don't think
you did it on purpose. I think you did it because you are
convinced that DIP25 is great, in fact so convinced that you take
thing for granted that aren't.

It is a natural tendency we all have to lower the standard of
evidence we require when we are already convinced. You, me,
everybody.

>> I don't think grepping for return will have a good noise to
>> signal
>> ratio.
>
> Sorry, I meant to git grep for "return ref".

So I did. I found 2 uses of return ref in current master that
aren't in unitests. These are both related to unicode decoding.
These are legit use of DIP25, and I recognize their value.

Still I don't think this is valuable enough to have its own
syntax. I also, on the other hand presented cases of things that
people thought could be done with DIP25, but ended up to be
either not possible or to have a disappointingly low complexity
to added value ratio.

I can agree on something: DIP25 is the right direction. But it is
too little to pay for itself and I haven't seen anything here
that would suggest otherwize.

>> You also mentioned several time that you have good evidence
>> that
>> DIP25 rox. Yet, every time you post that without any evidence,
>> I'm a bit
>> more convinced that none exists.
>
> The motivation is in the document and follows many discussions
> derived from it. It's all about functions and particularly
> member functions returning up references to data safely.
>
> Amaury, you and Timon are probably the most competent PL
> theorists in this forum. He did great work: found real problems
> with DIP25 that need to be looked at. In that light, spending
> time protesting and yelling figuratively at people is a
> distinctly unproductive way to spend your time as a very
> talented contributor. Do great work. It will be recognized.
> Don't point me at your past posts. They are not great work and
> you know it. Don't point me at those related DIPs. They are not
> great work and you know it. Don't find reasons to not do great
> work because it'll be wasted on my ego. Do great work and you
> will prevail.
>
> This tone of discussion has carried its course. I'm done
> arguing so if you want to continue arguing, great - last word
> is yours. In the recent times I've done my best to reduce my
> participation to unproductive discussions in forums, and the
> added perspective and time for real work have been very
> valuable. I suggest everyone to try it.

Ok, I'll write a DIP.