[OT] LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 14 05:26:42 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 14 October 2015 at 09:50:31 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 at 19:13:07 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 10/13/2015 6:36 AM, Daniel Kozak wrote:
>>> lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2015-October/091218.html
>>>
>>> Maybe we could have something similar in D community
>>
>> No. People who need to be told what decent behavior is won't
>> pay attention to such a document.
>
> Yes, I such such codes of conduct not as a solution to, but and
> indication of a problem.

It is inevitable that even in a nice and respectful community
there are misunderstandings based on the lack of body language
and audible tone of voice (e.g. in the case of irony, tongue in
cheek remarks etc.). Not to mention the fact that different
people and cultures have a different understanding of what's
appropriate|insulting|disrespectful and what isn't.

A code of conduct might do more harm than good, when people keep
pointing to it saying "Look ma, he said XYZ to me! Ban him!". I
once was on a forum like that and it soon became unbearable with
people taking offense at every answer they got and complaining to
the admin of the forum demanding this or that user be banned. It
eats up a lot of the admin's time too, you know, toys, pram,
kindergarten.