[OT] LLVM Community Code of Conduct

logicchains via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 14 23:36:31 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 14 October 2015 at 16:07:01 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 October 2015 at 13:21:28 UTC, logicchains
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 at 19:13:07 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:

>>> No. People who need to be told what decent behavior is won't
>>> pay attention to such a document.
>>
>> This is the most compelling reason I've yet seen to use D over
>> Rust or Go.
>
> Wow, damning with faint praise, why is this so important?  I
> agree with Walter, but surely you see something else to like
> more about D? :)

I didn't mean it as damning with faint praise, I'm just
personally really unfond of Django-style COCs (and I'm not the
only one, given by the response on the Go mailing list to their
COC's introduction).

Since you asked, D's compile time metaprogramming facilities are
in my view the best thing about D. I think though that D's
marketing lacks sufficient focus on that. As someone who's been
paid to write Go but not D, I think the Go's biggest advantage in
capturing developer mindshare is aesthetic; it's simple to grasp
and subjectively "neat" in some sense. D on the other hand seems
perpetually unfinished; ref counting isn't finished, gc-free
exceptions aren't finished, "shared" isn't finished, safe/ref
isn't finished (at least I recall reading somewhere on this list
that there are still some bugs in the implementation that allow
memory-unsafe behaviour), integrating Vibe.D's co-routines isn't
(as far as I'm aware) finished, improving the GC isn't finished,
typecons.Unique isn't finished. Even if it's not entirely
logical, all these unfinished aspects can add up to produce a
less positive aesthetic impression of the language compared to a
language that comes across as more polished.

Plus, Go has a much simpler pitch: looks kinda like Python but is
faster (due to being compiled if nothing else) and doesn't screw
up parallelism. There are/were a lot of Python devs using Python
where it probably wasn't appropriate (such as where I work), so
it's an easy niche to fill.