The new core.sys.windows

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 15 19:14:07 PDT 2015

On Friday, 16 October 2015 at 01:11:01 UTC, Brad Roberts wrote:
> I'd really like to see a trace of the history of those headers
> to make sure they're _really_ in the public domain.  I have
> doubts that microsoft ever declared that in headers they
> released and that someone else just copied (or transcribed) the
> apis and declared them to be in the public domain.

Yeah, I've always wondered how mingw had a version of the Windows
headers in the public domain (which is where our bindings are
derived from IIRC0. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they
had been copied from MS' official headers at some point, in which
case they wouldn't be legit, but at the same time, I'm not sure
that I want to figure out that they're not legit, because we're
kind of screwed if they're not. That being said, I really doubt
that Microsoft cares all that much if all you're doing is trying
to bind to their public API to use it, since they want you to use
it. AFAIK, they've never even done anything against the WINE
guys, and they're actually reimplementing the API in order to get
away from MS (though I don't know where they got whatever headers
they use).

- Jonathan M Davis