The new core.sys.windows

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 16 15:01:15 PDT 2015

On Friday, 16 October 2015 at 18:42:26 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2015-10-15 20:39, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>
>> It's not even complete for Linux, but it's _way_ more complete
>> than the
>> Windows headers have been. LOL. However, it looks like Windows
>> will
>> probably have the best bindings now.
>
> The trouble with Linux is that there are so many different
> distributions, especially if you include the GUI related
> libraries. It's a lot easier to include bindings for more of
> the system libraries on OS X because there's only one OS X.

True, OS X will be more uniform than Linux, because it doesn't
have multiple distros - just multiple releases. However, the
system APIs in Linux are not specific to any distro. They're
specific to the libc that's being used - which in almost all
cases is glibc, meaning that the system APIs are the same across
almost all distros. So, in general, I really wouldn't expect it
to be any more difficult to include bindings for Linux than for
OS X. However, regardless of how easy it is to add all of the
missing bindings, it still requires that someone be motivated
enough to do it and have the time and necessary knowledge and
skill to do so. And for the most part, no one seems to want to
spend their time finishing the C bindings in druntime. Rather,
they tend to get added piecemeal as someone needs another one.
It's actually kind of amazing that Vladimir put in the time to do
this, since even just porting oven the Win32 bindings from the
project that they've been in is no small undertaking.

- Jonathan M Davis