0 in version number?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 16 15:54:10 PDT 2015

On Friday, 16 October 2015 at 22:44:15 UTC, Gary Willoughby wrote:
> On Friday, 16 October 2015 at 17:58:27 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>> How is whether there's a 0 before the 68 anything but
>> bikeshedding? It's the same number either way, it sorts better
>> as-is, and it would be inconsistent of us to change now.
>> Changing how the overall numbering scheme works might make
>> sense, but simply removing the 0 wouldn't gain us anything as
>> far as I can see.
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>
> How? Let me explain.
>
> Removing a zero is not what this is about. What we are talking
> about is marketing.
[snip]

Fine. You think that making dmd's versioning be something more
standard would help the community and its PR. And maybe it would.
But simply removing the 0 doesn't do that. The whole versioning
scheme would need to be changed. Even if discussing the
versioning scheme isn't bikeshedding, simply arguing over whether
the 0 should be there or not _is_ bikeshedding.

- Jonathan M Davis