[OT] LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 17 16:57:04 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 17 October 2015 at 23:42:01 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/17/2015 2:24 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> I wish the extent of platform support for GDC and LDC was
>> clearer. I
>> decided not to list any platforms on D's download page unless
>> support
>> for those platforms was rock-solid and is expected to work.
>>
>> At least at that time, iOS and Android support, as I
>> understood it, was
>> in the "well, if you download this thing some guy uploaded to
>> his
>> personal website and patch that file and don't do this thing
>> which
>> doesn't work yet, you might get a "hello world" that runs from
>> the
>> terminal if you SSH in" ballpark. I'm not sure we should be
>> advertising
>> support for any platform at that level. Personally, I feel
>> that if a
>> platform/architecture is listed on a language's download page,
>> I should
>> be able to download the compiler and build a fully-working
>> application
>> within a few minutes, and as I understand we are nowhere close
>> to that
>> yet. I don't feel particularly strong about this, but if we do
>> decide to
>> lower the bar, then we should reconsider all the other
>> platforms that
>> have been left out (such as the long list of GDC architectures
>> which I
>> understood Iain to say that, well, since the build succeeds
>> and Debian
>> successfully packages it, then it has to work. I might be
>> wrong, though,
>> which is my point exactly - there is really insufficient
>> information
>> about what exactly one can expect to work on each
>> platform/architecture
>> (and their combinations).
>
> I think it'll be alright if these are clearly marked as
> unofficial and alpha quality, and perhaps with a blurb with
> some details on what it's state actually is, like "compiles
> hello world".

Should all this really be on the download page, though? There's
like a score platforms/architectures/combinations of such between
all compilers combined.

Have you looked at the linked wiki page?

http://wiki.dlang.org/Compilers

I'm not sure we should essentially be copying that table to
dlang.org.

I think we are good as we are right now. There is an "others"
link on the download page, so people interested in support for
less common or less supported platforms can find said information
on the wiki.