0 in version number?

Shriramana Sharma via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 17 20:13:59 PDT 2015

Shriramana Sharma wrote:

> I always wondered why DMD releases have a 0 in their minor version number
> -- surely 2.068 is the same as 2.68? Why then retain the zero?

BTW the Deb packages show the zero as a separate field in the SO versioning:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libphobos2.so.0.68.2
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libphobos2.so.0.68

So what is that zero supposed to indicate now?!

Heh, it's actually sorta appropriate. Major versions zero are often used to
indicate that the API is not yet stable and minor versions don't guarantee
API stability. Since that's true for Phobos, where we don't have a stable
versioning system yet, the zero as the major version number (ignoring the
language version 2) is correct in a way, I guess.

--
Shriramana Sharma, Penguin #395953