0 in version number?

bitwise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 18 11:30:36 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 18 October 2015 at 03:28:28 UTC, Shriramana Sharma
wrote:
> bitwise wrote:
>
>> Not sure what you're getting at either.
>
> By `ls -v1` I was illustrating that directory listing utilities
> are capable of sorting numbers meaningfully, so there is no
> need for leading zeroes for *that* purpose...

Ok, gotcha. My answer was a bit of a shot in the dark, but the
point was that a transition to a more normal looking versioning
system could be made at 2.1 without compromising the logical
ordering of the version numbers.

Looking at semver.org though, it seems that the major version
should be incremented for every version that's not backward
compatible, which basically makes it impossible for D to conform
to that versioning system at present. With rangification of
phobos, the removal of std.stream, the endless supply of breaking
DIPs, etc, D will be at 100.0.0 by next year.. ;)

      Bit