Natural language parsing (NLP) with D

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 20 09:01:40 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 20 October 2015 at 15:49:18 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> It's not my area, but are you thinking of something like
> Freeling?
>
> http://nlp.lsi.upc.edu/freeling/
>
> Asking for a friend. I think a C++ expert could get it to work
> with D with little difficulty, at least by creating C bindings,
> but I'm not a C++ expert and I failed.

Interesting, I heard of it a while ago. In D I have the following:

Text tokenization

Yes.

Sentence splitting

Yes.

Morphological analysis

Yes.

Suffix treatment [, retokenization of clitic pronouns]

Yes.

Flexible multiword recognition

Yes.

Contraction splitting

Depends on what they mean. But I can handle contractions like
"l'ami".

Probabilistic prediction of unkown word categories

No.

Phonetic encoding

Transcription? If so, yes.

SED-based search for similar words in dictionary

No.

Named entity detection

No.

Recognition of dates, numbers, ratios, currency, and physical
magnitudes (speed, weight, temperature, density, etc.)

Partially implemented.

PoS tagging

Started.

Chart-based shallow parsing

No.

Named entity classification

No.

WordNet-based sense annotation and disambiguation

No.

Rule-based dependency parsing

No.

Nominal correference resolution

No.

If anyone is interested in starting something like FreeLing in D,
please share your thoughts.