Pandas [was Kinds of containers]

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 21 08:44:06 PDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-10-21 at 09:11 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

[…]
> My finance folks also rave about Pandas. I wish I could fork myself to
> look into it.

Pandas is what makes Python a viable competitor to R. Most data science
people will use one or the other these days. Though some (with budgets) will
use Matlab or Mathematica.

> Nevertheless, what I'm working on now should help libraries such as
> Pandas for D. We have a large language but are unclear on recipe-style
> idioms for writing library code.

Can I suggest that we avoid "should" and ensure that we have more of a
"will".  Instead of a bottom up approach, we perhaps need a top-down
approach: Applications programmers do X, Y, Z, that are best support by data
structures A, B, C, and A, B, and C are realized by library architecture α,
β, γ.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder     t:+44 20 7585 2200   voip:sip:
russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road   m:+44 7770 465 077   xmpp:russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK  w: www.russel.org.uk skype:russel_winder