Vision

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 21 14:51:30 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 21 October 2015 at 20:50:29 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> Better late than later.
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2015H2_(draft)
>
> Destroy. After we make this good I'll rename it and make it
> official.
>

> Andrei

> Memory Management
> There has been progress on memory management in the standard
> library. Several functions that allocated memory now have lazy
> equivalents that do not require allocation.

std.experimental.allocator is the big news here, no?

> C++ integration
> Progress has been slow.

The main problem is the documentation, or more rather the lack of
it.

> Foster additions to the standard library and third-party
> libraries
> Progress has been slow.

I see a lot of work happening on code.dlang.org. Subjectively
speaking, third party library development appears to be
accelerating.

> Alternative compilers
> gdc and ldc have made good progress and are keeping up with the
> current front-end.

There's good work going on with both, but gdc is definitely not
keeping up with the front-end at the moment.

> Switch to self-hosting (ddmd)
> Porting the D compiler to D has been making good progress.

More than good progress, the bit that really matters (the
frontend) is done.