Kinds of containers

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 21 14:53:08 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 21 October 2015 at 20:19:27 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:

>> I'll attempt to implement a few versions of each and see what
>> they look
>> like. The question here is what containers are of interest for
>> D's
>> standard library.
>
> There should probably also be wrappers that implement
> optimizations for small containers.

I think the allocators can probably deal with that detail. If I
remember correctly there is an in-place allocator.

I've been using Boost.Container's small_vector lately (basically
a generalization of the now ubiquitous short string
optimization...though I'm not sure if it repurposes the pointer
when the item count is sufficiently small). It's a nice option to
have. The Container library now also has static_vector (fixed
capacity, changeable size) that fills a use gap between
std::array and std::vector;