Vision

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 22 08:09:16 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 22 October 2015 at 14:39:14 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
> On 23/10/15 3:13 AM, Jack Stouffer wrote:
>> On Thursday, 22 October 2015 at 09:49:30 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>> wrote:
>>> Has anyone come up with a proposal for review for possible
>>> Phobos
>>> inclusion? That's usually the holdup on that sort of thing,
>>> not a
>>> vision document.
>>>
>>> - Jonathan M Davis
>>
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2845
>>
>> Though I don't understand why this needs to be in Phobos so
>> badly when
>> having it as a dub package would make more sense. Same goes
>> for an
>> imaging library.
>
> And yet projects like dlangui keep on dying.
> Obviously something is not right with how they are.

Projects typically die because they don't have enough people
involved (frequently only one) and those who are involved no
longer have the time and/or interest.

Maybe the color stuff belongs in Phobos. Maybe not. But IMHO,
concerns about 3rd party projects dying off is _not_ a good
reason to put something in the standard library. I don't think
that we want large amounts of code being thrown into Phobos on
the theory that the Phobos devs will maintain it and whoever
wrote it can stop caring.

- Jonathan M Davis