Kinds of containers

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 22 14:32:23 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 21 October 2015 at 20:06:41 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 21 October 2015 at 19:19:23 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> I'd say let's first have a Pope before becoming more Catholic
>>> than
>>> him. -- Andrei
>>
>> I confess that I really don't understand that one.
>
> "More Catholic than the Pope" = overdoing something all too
> pedantically. What I mean is: let's get things started and if
> there's any need for isXxx we'll add them. -- Andrei

In principle, I agree with the sentiment, but I would have
thought that our experience thus far already showed that being
imprecise with code involving compile time introspection was
problematic at best. This sort of thing in static ifs probably
isn't as bad as it would likely be in template constraints, but
it seems like way too often we end up with problems like user
code compiling at first and then not compiling later due to a
small change in Phobos or dmd, just because someone did something
differently from what we expected, and the template constraints
or static ifs didn't take it into account properly.

- Jonathan M Davis