DMD is slow for matrix maths?

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 26 20:22:12 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 27 October 2015 at 03:14:55 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 October 2015 at 02:21:40 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
> wrote:
>> On Monday, 26 October 2015 at 23:13:22 UTC, Jack Stouffer
>> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Someone who says never is certainly making a bold claim in an
>> uncertain world at a time when the basic factors governing the
>> fate of D are visibly shifting in a positive direction.  In
>> addition, it's mildly demoralising to others to say such
>> things, no matter how good ones intent might be.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Nobody besides Walter will work on the backend because
> 1) It's under a proprietary license
> 2) Nobody besides Walter understands it
> 3) Two faster backends already exist and get maintenance for
> free. D already has a strained, split developer community.

1) and so?  There is proprietary and proprietary, and maybe I
simply don't understand the practical reasons why someone who
understands the pragmatic constraints and realities of what the
license actually means would be put off, but it would be
interesting to know why it is such a deal killer in your eyes.
2) is it beyond the reach of anyone else to learn ?
3) what exactly is the opportunity cost of Iain working on gdc ?
It's hardly a fixed size cake.  And I don't know, but the
relationships between different back end people doesn't from
public postings strike me as strained.