Safe reference counting cannot be implemented as a library

rsw0x via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 27 15:13:39 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 27 October 2015 at 21:50:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 10/27/2015 05:26 PM, rsw0x wrote:
>> It has been a great success for Rust, I rarely ever see RC
>> used anywhere
>> in Rust code thanks to borrowing. The new C++ core guidelines
>> are also
>> heavily based on this cf. *_view types in GSL.
>
> You can safely ignore the C++ part, the views are unsafe. I'd
> appreciate if you backed up your claim on Rust. -- Andrei

rustc's source has about a 5:1 Box:Rc usage ratio after a quick
grepping of the codebase(ignoring tests ofcourse.) This isn't
counting all the cases where borrowed pointers were used instead
of RC(which has about a 33.4:1 Borrowed:Rc usage after a quick
grepping)