Make all new symbols go through std.experimental?

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 27 17:41:55 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 28 October 2015 at 00:28:51 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> I was looking at
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3765 and
> whilst it's a sensible addition, I'm thinking we'd want to pass
> it and all other library additions through std.experimental
> first. So we'd have a std.experimental.range package that would
> be a purgatory for things to be added to std.range, and so on.
>
> We have examples from the past when additions that seemed
> obvious and sensible needed a few tweaks before stabilization.
> Going through std.experimental seems like a good approach to do
> such.
>

> What say you?
>
> Andrei

Author of the PR here. If this is the precedent you want to set
that's fine with me.

Two things though: We would need to do some announcement to tell
people that the purpose of std.experimental is fundamentally
changing from "staging area for new modules" to "staging area for
all new symbols". Two, we need some set rules on when each type
of addition goes out std.experimental. I can envision things
sitting there for a while if we don't have a hard and fast rule,
as people will want to keep making additions/changes.